quality work meets quality of life
What’s not to love about living in a small town surrounded by mountains, wineries, horse farms and history? Charlottesville (locals call it C-ville) always seems to find its way to the top of the Best Places to Live lists — largely due to its sense of community, leading university (the University of Virginia), temperate climate, comprehensive public health facilities, great food, and amazing arts and culture scene. Next month, we’re relocating our workspace to the heart of the city — an easy walk to the best coffee shops, restaurants and creative businesses that thrive here.
Interested in joining our team? See below for our current job opportunities and more information about living and working in C-ville.
Join our team
View our current job openings
VP, SaaS Product Engineering
You’re a senior engineer with a passion for innovation. You’ve got a track record with SaaS products and you love finding ways to simplify complex problems. You’re an all-in, collaborative leader who’s ready to revolutionize the media landscape for small and creative businesses. Scale doesn’t intimidate you: you don’t bat an eye when someone talks about 300 terabytes (or, hey, 5 petabytes!) of media. Entrepreneurs, small biz startups, and creatives are your tribe and you have a genuine interest in solving problems for them.
We’re Starchive: a group of creators — designers, photographers, audio editors, musicians, developers — who love technology and believe we can use it to accelerate the creative process, and we need a technical partner to lead our team of developers to a world-class outcome. (That’s where you come in.)
Every one of our team members has lived the pain of trying to create while our ideas and assets are tied up in the chaos of media disorganization. Every one of us has had that, where is that !@#$ file —I know it’s here somewhere…moment.
Born out of our collaboration with the Bob Dylan Music Company and its decades-long collection of Dylan’s life and work, our small and nimble Starchive team has spent years helping some of the most iconic creative brands solve their media challenges.
(Not to name drop, but…ok, we’re going to name drop: Bob Dylan, Billy Joel, Leonard Cohen, PBS Distribution, the New York Philharmonic, Essence Magazine, a hit series Netflix producer…just to name a few.)
Now we’ve taken that experience and reimagined it as a platform the everyday creator can use.
We’re looking for the technical and strategic leader who will help make our vision for connecting the creative world a reality. We’ve got a lot of traction already — but we need your technical leadership and skills to help carry this platform across the finish line. You’ll be working side-by-side with our founders and an incredibly talented team of colleagues, and with the support of deeply committed investors and advisors. We’ve got the right product, the right market, and the right timing — now we just need the right person to join our team as VP of Product Engineering.
In this role, you will:
- Participate in Product design bringing technical solutions into the early part of the design process
- Help prioritize and sequence key product features based on the long-range vision for the product and our team capacity to get to market
- Lead the development of the Starchive product and data architecture to a scalable and profitable solution
- Evaluate, prototype, test, and implement innovative solutions to extend the capabilities of Starchive
- Build out the engineering team and curate a strong and passionate engineering culture
- Grow and mentor team members on the art of data engineering and software abstractions
- 6+ years software development experience
- 4+ years experience in RDBMS
- 2+ years experience with AWS
- 2+ years experience building multi-tenant SaaS applications
- 2+ years experience with Linux/Unix/Shell
- 1+ years experience working with containers / Docker
- 1+ years leading development teams using Agile methodologies
- 1+ years experience with serverless technologies – AWS Lambda, SQS, S3, Step Functions, API Gateway
- 1+ years experience storing and managing dynamic metadata structures using JSON, JSONB, or other NoSQL /serialization and storage techniques
Preferred Training, Skills, and Knowledge
- Experience building and maintaining ETL pipelines
- Experience building API’s using GraphQL
- Experience with data security
- Experience working with Product and Design teams to deliver product assets to development teams
- Experience with Sketch, Invision, and wireframing tools
- Understanding of data flows, data architecture, ETL, and processing of structured and unstructured data
- Understanding and experience with Digital Media and modern document file types
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect
This position is located in Charlottesville, VA. Relocations are welcome! (And for real, Cville has unparalleled quality of life.). Compensation will be competitive in the local market and related directly to years of experience and display of productivity and talent for problem-solving. Any offer WILL include shares in this fast-growing funded company.
Please send your resume and a cover letter explaining what you’d bring to our team to firstname.lastname@example.org .
This is charlottesville.
Want to see what it’s really like living and working in C-Ville? Check out this video our friends over at UVA created.